Feb 16, 2011

Ups for Downs


I don't think I can recall the last rock show I went to (a quick illustration why: I had tickets to see Midlake, a favorite band from Texas, at the Bowery Ballroom last year, but promptly left when I realized they'd go on well after 10 pm--such are my working-dad hours these days), but I have seen the inimitable Lila Downs perform twice in NYC, once in the Spiegeltent down at South Street Seaport, and last November at City Winery. I count myself a fan of her inspired hybrid of indigenous folk and ranchera, so I was especially excited to read that she and her partner Paul Cohen are doing the words and music for Like Water for Chocolate at the Arena next fall--and that she'll be "featured" in the show. This ranks as second only to Kennedy Center's upcoming Follies as a reason to plan a D.C. trip.

No comments: