May 6, 2008

Good Folk

I don't really have a spare minute to be blogging at the moment, but I would feel remiss if I didn't mention how pleased and flattered I am that The New Yorker's Burkhard Bilger, who wrote an excellent recent piece on the not-quite-lost art of folk-music field recording (not online, but this is), will join me after this coming Sunday's matinee of The Devil & Tom Walker to discuss the use (or abuse) of early American folk music in my score, and issues around the state of American folk-music in general--and that we'll also be joined by the estimable Amanda Petrusich, a frequent contributor for Pitchfork and The Onion and author of the upcoming It Still Moves: Lost Songs, Lost Highways, and the Search for the Next American Music. As something of a sheepishly lapsed folkie whose faith has been somewhat rekindled by this process, I look forward to conferring with two who've been to the mountain.

No comments: