Jan 6, 2005

Hawking Local Theatre

Among the more exotic celebrity sightings I've had in my years of attending Los Angeles theatre, probably the most double-take-inducing was none other than Stephen Hawking, whom I glimpsed under the awning outside the Taper at intermission for The Kentucky Cycle back in--what was it, 1991? So I guess I wasn't too surprised to learn that he remains an avid concert- and theatregoer, and that he's clued in that there actually are such things happening in L.A.--but I was flattered to be asked, through a friend of a friend, to recommend a few shows to the cosmologist with the cool computer voice. Of course it's not the best time of year to make recommendations, except in anticipation of new openings, but I did muster the titles School for Scandal at the Taper and Julia Sweeney's Letting Go of God, which I thought would entertain a man who titles a lecture on black holes "Does God play dice?" Too bad there's nothing by Glen Berger playing at the moment.

1 comment:

the communicatrix said...

You could send him to the one-night-only perf of Ann Randolph's show, SQUEEZE BOX. I haven't seen it yet but she is one of L.A.'s finest, funniest performers and has been for years.

Plus all proceeds from the show go towards tsunami relief.

It's this Monday the 10th at Steinway Hall & Fields Pianos on Pico w. of Bundy.

R S V P & i n f o r m a t i o n: (310) 471-3979 or frankent1@juno.com